LANAP Washington DC & Alexandria VA
Washington DC & Alexandria VA
Gum disease is an increasingly common inflammatory condition of the bone and gums surrounding the teeth. If left untreated, a number of issues can develop, such as swelling and/or bleeding gums, or gums to begin to recede. Gum recession occurs when the margin of gum tissue that surrounds your teeth begins to pull back or wear, resulting in more of your teeth or their roots being exposed. In addition to longer looking teeth and visible roots, other common symptoms of gum recession include increased tooth sensitivity, bleeding, inflammation, and halitosis. An increasing number of studies also indicate that chronic inflammation of the gums can lead to systemic inflammation, which increases your risk of developing serious health issues, such as dementia, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, stroke, or heart disease.
To prevent or reverse gum disease, your periodontist may recommend LANAP. As the only FDA-approved laser treatment for managing periodontal disease, along with a growing body of research that supports the efficacy of its administration, LANAP has become one of the most effective treatment options for addressing gum disease.
At Precision Periodontics and Implant Dentistry, our specialty trained periodontists Dr. Justin Zalewsky and Dr. Antara Daru have years of experience treating a wide range of stages of gum disease and placing dental implants. To learn more about LANAP, our clinic facilities, or to schedule an appointment for a procedure, contact our Alexandria, VA office at (703) 823-2422 or our Washington D.C. office at (202) 296-3360.
Contact Precision Today
LANAP® vs. Conventional Gum Surgery
If you have been diagnosed with periodontal disease, there are essentially two treatment options: traditional gum surgery or LANAP. Although both approaches can be effective treatment options, there are some important differences between the two approaches that are important to be aware of, the most important being that the traditional approach restores periodontal pocket depth by removing diseased tissue, whereas LANAP restores periodontal pocket depth by promoting regeneration.
Unlike LANAP, which is a scalpel and suture free procedure, traditional gum surgery will involve a flap being made in your gums using a scalpel in order to provide access to your jawbone and the roots of your teeth. Once this flap is made, your periodontist will then remove the bacteria and tartar and examine the bone for any defects, after which the gums are sutured in place and allowed to heal.
In LANAP laser gum therapy, there are not sutures or scalpels used. The LANAP procedure will begin with an initial evaluation of your gums and pocket depths. In some cases, a local anesthetic will be applied to the area(s) being treated. Next, the teeth will be thoroughly cleaned and the laser light will remove the gum tissue that has become diseased. Next, any tartar that has accumulated along the roots of the tooth will be removed using ultrasonic scalers. Finally, the laser will be used to heat up the blood in the pocket, which creates a seal that will disinfect and protect this corrected pocket from plaque and germs. As an added benefit, the laser will naturally stimulate the stem cells, which in turn will facilitate the formation of more bone, connective tissue, and collagen. After this is complete, your periodontist will evaluate the surgical results and make any last adjustments if necessary.
Benefits Of LANAP
The benefits of LANAP include the following:
- Comfort: LANAP is significantly less invasive than traditional methods for treating periodontal disease, which reduces the need for post-operative pain medication and results in less pain in general.
- Faster Healing Time: Due to the minimally invasive nature of the procedure, the body will heal much faster and patients can return to their daily routines almost immediately.
- Significant Reduction in Bleeding and Inflammation: In just one visit, LANAP can remove 90% of a patient’s inflammation, and the procedure controls bleeding by forming clots.
- Targeted Treatment: LANAP removes damaged tissue without causing any recession of the gum line, which means patients can preserve their smile’s natural appearance.
- Bone Regeneration: LANAP is an effective method for encouraging the regeneration of bone tissue.
- Saves Teeth: In some cases, LANAP will ensure that patients can keep their natural teeth, when an extraction would have been needed otherwise.
- Safe: There are zero contraindications associated with LANAP.