LANAP in Washington DC & Alexandria VA
Laser gum treatment can help stop the progression of gum disease and save teeth or dental implants.
Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) is one of the latest and greatest techniques to the periodontal world, and here at our office, Washington D.C. Periodontist Dr. Zalewsky helps you and your smile by using innovative technology and by educating you on its benefits. The LANAP procedure is a very useful technique that is used to rid the infected pockets of bacteria that cause gum disease, leaving clean, healthy gum tissue that can heal and grow as it should, reattaching itself to teeth. Lasers can restore gum health without the use of surgery or stitches in the gums. LANAP has been approved by the FDA and is growing in popularity due to its ease of use and patient satisfaction.
How does it start? With Gum Disease
There are many factors that can contribute to the onset of gum disease, including poor oral hygiene, genetics, smoking, poor diet, and dry mouth. When gums recede, become dry, or become inflamed, small pockets of space can form around the teeth, creating a haven for bacteria to hide and grow, wreaking havoc on the surrounding tissue (including bone deterioration). Untreated infections can lead to tooth loss, diabetes, heart disease, and a host of other health problems. Depending on the advancement of the gum disease, it has typically been treated with surgical gum disease treatments, but with the use of techniques like LANAP, patients can see improved results in a shorter period of time.
Benefits of Laser Gum Treatment
While lasers in your mouth may sound like an interesting proposition, they actually have many benefits that improve results and patient experience. Because the lasers are so precise and so easily controlled, LANAP is one of the best options to treat gum disease. Lasers are less invasive than other metal instruments, allowing your mouth to sustain less damage and heal more quickly. The heat from the lasers also promote the blood to clot, lessening blood loss and shortening healing time. This also minimizes the chance of bacteria entering the bloodstream during the procedure. Other laser gum treatment benefits include:
- Minimal discomfort
- Healthy gum tissue
- Implant preservation
- Lowered risk of infection and other complications
- Reduced inflammation
- No cutting or suturing
- Shorter procedure and recovery times
How LANAP Works
We can break down the LANAP into a few simple steps:
- Consultation: We always consult with you to educate you on our procedure and determine the best course of action. This includes an exam to determine the extent of the procedure (to identify the diseased gums – usually darker in color) and make sure that you have all your questions answered. This includes how many sessions we need to accomplish the goal and how long they will take. You can even ask for a demonstration if you’d like!
- Anesthesia: Although LANAP is minimally invasive and relatively painless, we want to make sure you are comfortable throughout the procedure.
- Probe: Once the anesthesia has taken effect, the depth of the pockets of bacteria need to be measured for accuracy.
- Laser: Using the laser, Dr. Zalewsky will remove infected areas between gums and teeth, eliminating diseased tissue and leaving healthy tissue intact.
- Scaler: Other special instruments are then used to remove any tartar and deposits on the tooth and its root that were loosened by the laser. This provides a smooth clean surface that is harder for plaque to stick to.
- Laser: The laser is then used again to kill remaining bacteria on gums and bone and uses its own heat to stimulate blood clotting. This helps to seal the site and promote regeneration in a healthy environment.
- Healing: LANAP allows for the ideal environment for healthy gum tissue to initiate reattachment to the bone, which are like new clean surfaces. Dr. Zalewsky can address any discomfort issues and give instructions for healing and maintenance.
LANAP is a great way to treat gum disease and rid the mouth of harmful bacteria. Because it closes gaps that invite tartar and plaque, your mouth will feel like new and your smile will be as healthy and bright as ever. For one of the best treatments available today for eliminating infection and restoring healthy gum tissue, let us answer all your questions about LANAP and help you stop the progression of gum disease.
Laser gum treatment can help stop the progression of gum disease and save teeth or dental implants. Contact us for an appointment at our Washington D.C. or Alexandria, VA offices.
Periodontists Dr. Justin Zalewsky, Dr. Michael Hoge, and the Precision Periodontics and Implant Dentistry team offer a range of periodontal treatment options to the Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C. area, including residents seeking a periodontist in Annandale, Arlington, Burke, Chevy Chase, Falls Church, Fairfax, and Springfield. Please contact us to schedule a consultation or request your appointment online.