How Dental Implants Work in Washington DC and Alexandria VA
Restore Your Smile With Dental Implants Today!
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are replacement tooth roots. They provide a strong foundation for permanent or removable replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth. Dental implants work by screwing directly into the bone of the jaw and making the biological tissues of the gum and bone believe that a real tooth is in place. The bio-compatible titanium post of the implant bonds with the living bone in the jaw, the gums grow around it, and a perfect replica of the real tooth is used to complete the restoration. There are several types of dental implants that can be used.
Types of Dental Implants
There are two types of dental implants:
- Endosteal implants are surgically inserted directly into the jawbone. A false tooth or bridge is fastened to the implant by means of connecting a piece called an abutment.
- Subperiosteal implants involve a fitted metal frame that is implanted under the gums but over the jawbone. After the gums heal, the posts that stick out from the gums have artificial teeth attached to them.
The choice between endosteal and subperiosteal dental implants depends upon the health of your jaw and the configuration of teeth to be replaced.
The 3 Parts of a Dental Implant
A tooth implant is made of three pieces: the titanium implant, the abutment, and the crown. The first step of the dental implant procedure involves surgically placing the dental implant into the jaw bone. The titanium implant fuses with the jaw bone to create a connection that is just like the one between the natural tooth and jaw. Next, the abutment is placed over the implant, and lastly the crown is placed over the abutment. The result is a fully functional replacement tooth that feels natural, works as nature intended, and provides support to the other teeth in the jaw while encouraging healthy bone and gums!
What Are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
There are so many advantages to dental implants, including:
- Improved appearance–Dental implants looks and feel like your own teeth. Because they are designed to fuse with the bone, they become permanent.
- Improved comfort— Because dental implants become part of you, the eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Improved speech— When you have dentures, they can be poor-fitting and can slip within your mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Easier eating— When your dentures are sliding around in your mouth chewing can be difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Durability— Implants are very durable and will last many years. With proper care most implants last a lifetime.
- Convenience— Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
- Improved oral health— Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, because of this more of your own teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- Improved self-esteem— Dental implants will give you back your smile! They will help you to feel better about yourself and more confident.
The benefits of an improved self-esteem alone is cause enough to want to get this procedure done. The comfort and confidence that it will bring you cannot be overstated enough. It is something you will not regret and something you will be grateful you did in years to come.
Are Dental Implants For Everyone?
In most instances, anyone who is healthy enough to go through a routine dental extraction or oral surgery can be considered a candidate for dental implants. Patients should have healthy gums and enough bone to hold the implant. They also must be committed to good oral hygiene and regular dental visits. Heavy smokers, people suffering from uncontrolled chronic disorders, or patients who have had radiation therapy to the head or neck region need to be evaluated on an individual basis. If you are considering implants, talk to us today. We can help you evaluate what is best for you and answer any questions that you may have.
How Successful are Dental Implants?
Success rates of dental implants can vary, depending on where in the jaw the implants are placed. In general though dental implants have a high success rate of up to 98%. With proper care, implants can last a lifetime.
How Do I Care for Dental Implants?
Dental implants require the same care as real teeth, including brushing, flossing, rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash, and regular dental check-ups.
Where Do I Begin?
Dental implants replace missing teeth with restorations that look, feel, and function naturally. Contact us for an appointment at our Washington D.C. or Alexandria VA office. If you are missing one or more teeth, it’s time you came to see us to find out if dental implants are right for you. Our experienced implant dentists will sit down with you to figure out the right solution. They will happily walk you through the entire process from beginning to end. They will take the time to answer any and all questions that you might have about the procedure. Let us help you get your smile back!