Candidates for Dental Implants in Washington DC & Alexandria VA
Restore Your Smile With Dental Implants Today!
When dealing with missing or broken teeth, dental implants are often the best choice in procedure. Making their first appearance in dental medicine in the early 1950s, dental implants are considered a modern marvel by some dentists. Due to their ability to restore single teeth as well as multiple teeth, dental implants are versatile in the dental world. If you think that you could be a candidate for dental implants, contact Precision Periodontics and Implant Dentistry today.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are small, thin, titanium rods that are placed directly in the jaw bone. This rod works as a artificial tooth root to keep everything in place. Once your implants have fully healed and adhered to the bone, patients will return for an additional visit. During this visit, patients will have the custom crown attached to the healed implant. This is what will make your teeth look completely all-natural! After a 7 day healing period, most patients can resume their normal diets. Some cases will be different, so make sure that you contact Precision Periodontics and Implant Dentistry if you have concerns during recovery.
Why Dental Implants?
Deciding on dental implants can seem daunting, but with a relatively quick recovery period, many patients find it to be completely worth it. It’s important to consider these things when choosing dental implants:
- Dental implants are a long-term treatment option. When cared for correctly, implants can last a lifetime!
- They look completely natural! Built to look just like the real thing, dental implants will function just like your natural teeth would!
- Dental implants can help retain the integrity of your natural smile! Due to the loss of bone tissue by missing teeth, a jawbone without teeth can often make the face look droopy, and sad. Dental implants help your retain your natural face shape and may even help you look younger.
- The implant procedure is relatively pain-free. With local anesthesia, patients go pain-free during surgery! However, because the implants are implanted directly into the nerve-free bone tissue, the recovery period is relatively simple and mostly pain-free. Many of our patients find that over the counter pain medications were all that they needed during the recovery process.
- Dental implants preserve other teeth. After one tooth falls out, a domino effect often occurs and results in many other teeth falling out. When a tooth is lost, your surrounding teeth have nothing to keep it aligned, resulting in crooked and missing teeth throughout the mouth. Protect your healthy teeth with dental implants!
What Are The Treatment Options?
After a significant tooth loss due to gum disease or other dental issues, dental implants can restore your teeth back to their natural beauty! For patients missing more than one tooth, there are a few terrific treatment options:
- Implant Supported Bridges are used when a patient has multiple missing teeth in adjacent areas of the mouth. One or two dental implants are surgically attached to each side of your jawline, and these work as the anchor pieces to restore as many other teeth as needed. Once restored, they look and function just like a set of natural teeth would!
- Implant Supported Dentures are used on edentulous patients who are missing all of their teeth in one or both jaws. Implant supported dentures are a set of completely natural looking teeth simply supported by a few implants on each side of the jaw. This procedure is less expensive than an entire set of individually placed dental implants. Implant supported dentures are a permanent alternative to regular dentures, and often end up being less expensive over the long run!
Are You A Candidate for Dental Implants?
It can be difficult to determine if you are a candidate for dental implants. Our ideal candidate for dental implants should have…
- Healthy gums! If there are areas of concern regarding the health of the gum tissue (like gum disease) Dr. Zalewsky will treat them before moving forward with implant surgery.
- Sufficient bone tissue. When determining the overall success rate of your oral surgery, patients must have enough healthy bone tissue to support the implant. Bone graft restoration may be recommended before receiving dental implant surgery.
- Healthy dental habits. It’s important that our patients with dental implants are keeping up with their daily dental care. Daily brushing and flossing is essential, and it is absolutely recommended that patients keep up with their dental exams with their care providers.
- Non smoking habits. Smoking affects the ability for dental tissue to correctly heal. Additionally, smoking increases your likelihood of developing mouth or throat cancers. We will likely recommend that you quit smoking for the treatment (and healing!) process to help with a speedy recovery.
- Bruxism treatment (if applicable). Grinding your teeth, or Bruxism, can damage your jaw and make it impossible for the surgical site to heal. Patients with a history of teeth grinding must receive treatment before going through with dental implant surgery.
- Relatively good health! Patients with diabetes, hemophilia, or other immunodeficiencies may not make good candidates for dental implants. Of course, situations like these are dealt by on a case-by-case basis. Consult with Dr. Zalewsky to determine if implants are right for you and your overall health!
If you feel that you could benefit from dental implants, call our offices in Alexandria VA or Washington DC for a consultation appointment! Dr. Zalewsky is one of the best implant dentists in the area with specialized and advanced training in dental implants. A strong believer in attentive, personalized care, Dr. Zalewsky and his team of professionals at Precision Periodontics and Implant Dentistry are committed to helping you through the entire dental implant process. With certification from the American Dental Association, American Academy of Periodontology, Alexandria Dental Association, and many others, you can make sure that Dr. Zalewsky is highly qualified to provide you with dental implants. We’ll make sure that you love the way your smile looks! Contact us to schedule a consultation today!