Digital Dental X-rays in Washington D.C. & Alexandria, VA
Modern technology continues to rapidly change the techniques and tools available to dentists. Our use of digital x-rays is just one example of how we provide the newest and best technologies we can to our patients.
How is a digital x-ray different from a conventional x-ray?
Many patients dislike the “exploration” portion of their dental exam. Although dental explorer tools are simply used to touch the surfaces of teeth and to allow the hygienist or dentist to see if cavity surfaces are tacky, many people don’t enjoy the feeling of having their teeth poked and prodded with a sharp object. Fortunately, new intraoral cameras completely eliminate the need for traditional metal explorer tools, and the clinicians at Precision Periodontics and Implant Dentistry rely on these state-of-the-art devices to help them to diagnose dental decay every day.
What are the benefits to using digital x-rays?
- The biggest benefit to using a digital x-ray is that patients are exposed to significantly less radiation–almost 90% less.
- Digital x-rays are also more detailed and more accurate than film. This makes dental diagnosis easier, allowing budding dental issues to be treated before they develop too far.
- Records of previous visits can be compared to new x-rays to monitor changes over time. Tumors, cysts, and abscesses can all be identified with digital x-rays.
- Digital x-rays speed up treatment time because there is no need to develop any film; the wait time between the x-ray and the examination of the pictures has been totally eliminated.
- Digital x-rays can be transferred from dentist to dentist in the event that you move or need to see another specialist.
- Digital images can also be sent to insurance companies to demonstrate the care that you need.
Periodontists Dr. Justin Zalewsky, Dr. Michael Hoge, and the Precision Periodontics and Implant Dentistry team offer a range of periodontal treatment options to the Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C. area, including residents seeking a periodontist in Annandale, Arlington, Burke, Chevy Chase, Falls Church, Fairfax, and Springfield. Please contact us to schedule a consultation with Dr. Zalewsky or Dr. Hoge, or request your appointment online.